Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Nonimmigrant Visas

Students (F, M)


F and M visas allow travel for bonafide academic (F) and vocational (M) study in the United States. Applicants whose long term goal is to stay must qualify for an immigrant visa. Most eligible Indonesian applicants receive an F or M visa valid for multiple entries during a five year period, and a stay for the duration of studies after admission.  For F student visa applicants, please see: Student Visa Program.

Before proceeding, please see the following links for further information:

The burden of proof to qualify for any visa rests solely with the visa applicant. Please apply well in advance of your intended travel to the U.S. No one can act as a guarantor or provide any assurance of visa eligibility. Visa interviews with a consul last 2-3 minutes at most. It is vital for all visa applicants to come fully prepared and able to answer our questions. Visa applicants must assume that we are totally unaware of their situation. If there is any doubt concerning a visa applicant, if a visa applicant cannot answer our questions with clarity, we must find the visa applicant ineligible.


F and M visa applicants must demonstrate to us that they qualify for a U.S. visa according to the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Section 214(b) of the INA presumes that every F and M visa applicant is an intending immigrant and ineligible for a visa. There is no all inclusive list of qualifications, but successful applicants may be found eligible if we determine that:

  • Their trip is solely for bonafide study, consistent with U.S. law;
  • Their goal is to acquire an education that will advance their goals outside the U.S.;
  • They will stay for a specific period sufficient for their education only;
  • They have evidence of funds to cover all U.S. expenses;
  • They are not subject to exclusion; and
  • They have a life outside the U.S. so strong that they will be forced to depart the U.S.


Only spouses and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 can qualify for F2 or M2 visas to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the U.S. for the duration of his/her studies. Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the U.S. with the principal F or M visa holder, but make short visits only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B) visas. Spouses and dependents F2 or M2 visas cannot work in the U.S. but children can attend school.

Student Visa Testimony